Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..." -Dr. Seuss, Oh the Places You'll Go...

Sunday, March 6, 2011

I need to study the rules of rugby.


Apparently American football is based on rugby; however, watching a rugby game has never made me more confused and subsequently uninterested.

On Saturday, CIEE sponsored a trip to the Cape Town Stormers vs. Free State Cheetahs rugby game in Newlands, about a 15-minute walk from my house. The game began at 5pm just as the blistering heat began to break.

Outside the stadium, numerous vendors sold sodas, snacks, borewoors (South African sausage) and team paraphernalia. Many people, adults and kids, walked into the stadium clad in Stormers jerseys with huge Stormers flags in hand.

I was very excited for the game since I had never been to a rugby match before, but unfortunately my excitement transformed into confusion which then transformed into boredom. I thought I would be able to figure out the rules and objectives of the game, but after asking Martina several questions and still not understanding, I temporarily gave up on my knowledge of rugby. I have never been so frustrated at a sporting event, but now I understand how people who don’t understand the rules of football can be bored or uninterested at a game.

However, I am planning to go to another rugby game soon, but before I do, I’m going to try to study and learn the rules of rugby so I can cheer with enthusiasm, instead of just going along with the crowd as I did on Saturday.




1 comment:

  1. Don't give up hope just yet!!! I think its a much better sport than football!

    ReplyDelete