Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..." -Dr. Seuss, Oh the Places You'll Go...

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Finally, a moment with Fugard


Before coming to South Africa, my dad told me about one of his favorite playwrights, Athol Fugard, and insisted that I seek out going to a play of his, going to his theatre or really finding him, meeting him and interviewing him.


When I first arrived in Cape Town, I was happy to see a huge sign on the side of a building on Main Road saying "Fugard Theatre," so for a while, I thought that the theatre was right there and so close to my house, which was great. However, when the sign disappeared, I knew something was wrong, and then when I found out that building is actually a CIEE house with students living in it, I knew that it definitely was not the Fugard Theatre.

Yet, after a little bit of searching online, I discovered the actual Fugard Theatre, which is located in District 6. I knew I couldn't come back to the States without going to the Fugard Theatre because my dad just wouldn't like that, so I made plans with Tommy, a guy in my house who is an actor, and we went to the Fugard Theatre to see Bird Watchers, a show written and directed by Fugard about his time in the Eastern Cape with two good friends.


The show started off a bit slow at first, but by intermission, I felt in touch with the three characters. I was happily surprised by the way in which the second act was constructed -- a time change to 30 years after the first act. The plot became very intense and the characters grew more complex. Tommy and I both agreed that there's something about Fugard's writing that is just so amazing. The dialogue is easy to understand, but is almost poetic in a way. As an audience member, I can tell that Fugard thinks about and chooses each word very carefully. 

Pointing at "Victory," the play my dad directed this past semester at Virginia State University, in a long list of all of Fugard's plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment