Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..." -Dr. Seuss, Oh the Places You'll Go...

Sunday, June 19, 2011

I'm "home"

After more than 20 hours of traveling and very thorough security measures that come along with flying to the U.S. — including gate-side pat downs, luggage searches, and liquid confiscation — I am back in the states. In a way, I'm home, but I'm actually in a new home. Instead of being a normal kid going to spend time with family in their hometown and relax as reverse culture shock hits, I pressed fast-forward and moved straight up to Boston. Three days after arriving in the States, I spent time with family, drove up the east coast to Boston, moved into my new apartment (with the help of my Mom), and started my full-time summer internship at the CS Monitor.


I simply moved into a new life, place and job. I've heard from friends who have also recently arrived back home who say, "it's strange to be home," but that's not the case for me. I didn't exactly have an adjustment period to acclimate back to the States. Rather, I jumped into another life in a new city with new people. I guess I don't waste any time.


The first few days I spent in Boston, my mom stuck around to see that I settled in and to help me explore this great city. We found a delicious Thai restaurant within walking distance from my apartment, shopped at the wonderful Trader Joe's, got my hair cut, visited the beautiful Company Gardens and ate dinner and delicious cannolis at Mike's Pastries in the North End (Little Italy).


Everyone keeps asking me, "how's Boston" and my typical response is "so far, so good." I love the neighborhood where I live, my roommates are all very nice (Craigslist success story), and everything I need seems to be in walking distance, including my job. I realized just the other day when walking home from work that this is the most adult thing I've done so far. Last summer, I interned in LA, so I was away from home and not in school, but I was in my comfort zone and living with friends. Here in Boston, I work 9 to 5, Monday through Friday, and that's the extent of my commitments. I come home after work, rest for a bit, go for a run, and make dinner for myself followed by a movie or episode on Netflix Instant. I'm a working woman in a new city with not many friends, which seems very much like the life of a recent graduate taking on their first full-time job. It's different, but exciting. I've always wanted to live in Boston and now, I have until mid-August to explore the city, meet lots of new people and make strides in my journalism career at the CS Monitor. This works. I'm happy.

1 comment: